James is excellent at adapting to new situations, whilst at the same time supporting and getting others involved. His enthusiasm is contagious! — Beccy Stirrup, Yorkshire Art Circus
- Web content development
- Copywriting for web and print
- Marketing research
- Created effective promotional mail-shots
- Produced the annual report
- Created a publications archive
- Created a membership database
- Comprehensive administrative support
James has a wide range of knowledge, skills, and a very positive working attitude. He is comfortable liaising with statutory agencies and private companies, and is experienced in partnership/stakeholder work. We work with James because we believe that he’s trustworthy, reliable, and conscientious in all his work. But more than this, he’s also a trusted YAC friend, providing honest and professional support and guidance. — Lesley Wilkinson, Manager of Core Activities at Yorkshire Art Circus
I was involved in the work of Yorkshire Art Circus for many years, and worked with different teams on a variety of projects, as well as being a participant on their Writer Development Programme (WDP) and a tutor and workshop facilitator on a number of their outreach projects. I was also one of the nominated WDP writer representatives on the advisory group connected with that Programme.
Examples of my work for YAC include:
- Working as an Administrative Assistant for Lorna Hey, in connection with their academic Creative Learning Programme (CLP). Duties included assisting with the set up of courses, registration, monitoring and feedback, and arts administration.
- I was an Editorial Assistant for Ian Daley within their in-house publishing project. Duties included editing and proofreading manuscripts, collation of articles and stories, admin, press and PR and general contact with writers.
- I was an active tutor on ‘Graffiti Living’, a project designed and taught by me, encouraging young people to explore their creativity. Feedback was very positive, with participants rating my work at almost 100% satisfaction rate.
- I worked with YAC staff, students from Bretton Hall College, and the University of Leeds, on ‘Community Write’. Members of the public were encouraged to write down their thoughts and creative writing during a day on a big roll of paper in various locations, e.g. outside Wakefield Cathedral. The working day lasted over 10 hours and involved a diverse range of people, in terms of age range, backgrounds, cultural/artistic experiences, etc. These projects also involved press and publicity work and tie-ups.
- I completed their Writers Development Programme (WDP) in 2006. This was a year-long, intensive professional Programme for writers who wanted to develop their skills to a professional level. I was one of 36 people who successfully passed the rigorous interview and selection process from the 300+ writers who applied.
- After completing the Writer Development Programme, the other writers nominated me to lead their ‘Write Mind’ writers’ group, which ran successfully for a further year.
- I then went on to join the Yorkshire Art Circus network of tutors — writers, artists, and ICT artists who work professionally in their chosen artistic field, and who taught for YAC at a community level on their Creative Learning Programme and outreach projects.
- Yorkshire Art Circus also regularly referred writers to me for professional proofreading and editing support.